I have just a minute to blog. I have so many ideas, but I really wanted to tell the fantastic story of when we saw a real super hero. It was just last Friday. We went to the library to return some books and stock up for Spring Break. It was a . . . well, it was a blustery day. It was rainy and windy and rainy some more. Little j had left his new umbrella in the car. He picked out the umbrella himself, yellow with red fire trucks. When I told him he needed to wear a jacket because it was rainy he grab his umbrella too.
The little umbrellas didn't do well in the wind. About half way across the street to the library I saw that he was trying to hold the umbrella over his shoulder against the wind. I showed him how to hold it into the wind so it wouldn't invert. But the second I left his side he put it back up on his shoulder. Instantly a large gust of wind ripped the umbrella inside out and tore off the yellow cover. I watched stunned for an instant as the yellow with red fire trucks slidded across the ground then danced through the air. I sprang into action and scurried after it. I ran as quickly as I could carrying Little e and a heavy bag of library book returns.
After about 15 yards I realized the chase must be abandoned. The wind was moving much faster than I. And my children 3 small children were still in the middle of the street behind me.
Little j was frantic. We entered the library and lingered in the space between the two sets of doors for a moment hoping he would regain some composure. If nothing else I was determined to return the books. He calmed down a little, but once inside the library he started again. I wasn't sure what to do.
That's when it happened. We were in a sad little blur of space and it was penetrated by a super hero. The super hero was a boy not more than 8 or 9. He approached, held out yellow fabric with red fire trucks. "Is this yours?" he asked and handed the umbrella cover to me.
"Thank you!!!" I replied.
Then he was gone as quickly as he appeared.
You may think that perhaps a young boy could catch an umbrella cover more easily than a mom with a baby and a large bag of library books. But when I abandoned the chase the cover was easily 50 yards or more away from the library and the wind was still gusting strongly. A super hero saved the day!!!
So now you know there are real super heros out there. Be on the watch. You may find one too. It may be a grandmother who offers to hold your baby in the check outline line of the grocery store. It may be a young boy who offers to retrieve a frisbee from the roof of the garage. No matter who it is our world is a safer, happier place because of the super heros.
Monday, April 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
How lovely. And he wasn't even a vampire. ;)
Hooray for heroes! Kids (especially kid heroes) know how important a fire truck umbrella is to another kid.
We had a hero like that in our previous town, strangely enough, also when we went to the library. When Garrett was 4 and Hannah 2 on a blustery day. We took the bus because our car was acting weird. When we were leaving with a bag full of books, I saw the bus coming. We ran, I had to pick up Hannah to go faster. The bus was still there but on the other side of the street. I was waving (as well as I could with a bag, holding Hannah, and guiding Garrett), but the bus pulled away as I crossed the street. But then it stopped a little ways up at the stop light. So we started running again. Again, right as I got near it, it pulled away. Winded (yes I'm old), discouraged, and not looking forward to a 30 minute wait in the cold, a minivan pulled up next to me and a nice mom said to get in and she could take me home. Joy! I was still so breathless I could barely thank her. She had kids in the van who talked to my kids saying "we saw you running but the bus left without you!"
Heroes are everywhere! Thanks for reminding me.
Post a Comment