I feel like I've conquered the labyrinth! "Little a" will start first grade on Monday. When we left her old school the teachers said they recommended moving her to first grade. (Something they don't do there because they have full day kindergarten and prefer augmentation.) Then we moved
here where they do half day kindergarten. I asked when we registered her if we could do an assessment for first grade. They said they don't do that here. I hate being the pushy parent, but I didn't want her to have the stigma or stress of moving classes. I finally resigned myself and put her in kindergarten. After one day the teacher came to me about her abilities. It took her some time. She set up an assessment and talked to the principal and got through all the red tape for us. All the time she was so sweet about not wanting to lose "Little a" in her class. Thanks Mrs. Kindergarten teacher!
I hope she does well in first grade. I hope the work will be more appropriate and challenge her. I want her to get the "Ahh! I learned something new!" feeling.
We will also close on our house next Wednesday. We were ready to close on the 30th, but the seller needed a bit more time to fix a few things. Hopefully we can move in before Thanksgiving.
Friday, November 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Yay! Exciting times! I'm sure A will do just fine, she barely missed the cut-off to begin with! :o) And yay for the house, too. Can't wait to see pictures, and see how you like it. :o)
A is amazing. congratulations on your house. Send pictures when you can!
Hooray for teachers who care about their students! I'm glad she'll have a place to stretch her abilities.
Happy moving in! Hope it all goes smoothly.
See what you get for teaching your kids to be smart!!! That's really exciting for her, she must take after you.
Yes, she did just miss the deadline. And if we had been in this school when she turned five she would have started K last year. Their cut-off is September 30th. Her birthday is Sept 20th.
It's always been a tricky issue for me to figure out the line between being a bragging parent and getting her the education she needs. She has always been interested in reading and academic things. I try to remind her that the other kids might be interested in different things maybe their experts on space or monster trucks or gymnastics.
She is really fun to teach because she loves it so much. She just soaks it up like a sponge. I hope we can keep her that way.
I'll be sure to get pictures up after we close. I'm being careful not to jinx myself.
Phew! I hope she likes it too. I wish I could encourage Kaylee to let me teach her....I am getting discouraged with the school here. I miss you.
That's so great for you and for little a. I'm sure she'll do just wonderful and we can't wait to hear about her adventures in 1st grade! Congrats on the house, that's so exciting! We can't to see pictures!
Post a Comment