Monday, June 16, 2008

Bike Trailers and Joggers

I'm supposed to be researching A bike/jogging stroller. Instead I'm blogging. But maybe I can kill two birds with one stone here.

Goal: Get my kids to school at 8 AM and get exercise at the same time.

I thought with today's gas prices I could justify a bike and trailer, but I have four little ones none of which are strong enough riders to bike the 1 mile (uphill) to school. Any ideas? What do you like or dislike about bike trailers? Is it good to get one that can also be a stroller?

One friend told me she used to put a baby seat on the back of her bike and two kids in the bike trailer. So that's three. Maybe I could get at least one of them to ride their own bike.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Good luck with that Andrea! We did the bike trailer with the extra kid seat attached to the bike and that worked really well. The hard part is getting the oldest kid to keep up! If Amanda didn't like riding her bike uphill, maybe she could keep up riding a skooter.

Just Me said...

Sounds pretty ambitious to me...
of course that never seems to scare you :) I remember the three kid stroller we had when you were little. It was a great stoller but it didn't work too well with four. We traded off between you and Regina walking.

Erin said...

we love our bike trailer. you could probably squish three little ones in it. there are two individual seat belts and then one large one that goes over the whole seat. if you add the seat on back of the bike you could pull them all. we also have the stroller converter kit for the trailer and we use that all the time! its a burley...i'll send more info to your email if you're interested.

Andrea said...

I did a little research and the Burley looks like it's the best. But it is also $$$. Maybe I can find one second hand.

Laura said...

Andrea...we got our trailer at Shopko a few years ago. It's an Instep and I got it on sale. It has been tried and tested and does really well. Dustin even hauled a week's worth of groceries in it last Saturday. I haven't used it much as a stroller, but when we have it has worked fine.

Erin said...

Andrea, we found ours second hand in Logan for $90. It had been in a garage not being used! We did have to buy the converter kit for the trailer to be used as a stroller...it seems like it was a pretty penny. Maybe $60-$90. I can't remember. Anyway, I'm sure there are lots of bike trailers that would get the job done without a big price. Good luck finding a deal!