Sunday, June 1, 2008

Miracles Grow

I finally broke down and signed up for the community garden in the town next to ours. It's a 20 minute drive, but I just can't resist the miracle of growing things. I know we probably wont save any money growing vegetables 20 minutes away. I finally justified it as a teaching tool for my kids. Plus, I roped in our family that lives there. It gives us all something to do together.

We planted 5 rows of corn, two sunflowers, a row of beans, a row of carrots and radishes, four tomatoes, 12 peppers (for salsa), and a hill of cucumbers. It's a big space, so we still have a lot of room to plant melons and pumpkins. I should mention we didn't actually use Miracle Grow, but a standard 10-10-10 fertilizer.

Our garden is full of blessings already. Our neighbor gardener offered to rototill our plot, saving us hours of digging in the clay-like soil to loosen it up. Also, on Saturday and were surprised that corn and sunflowers were already starting to poke up through the soil.

Speaking of miracles. I want to say something out of deep humility and gratitude. I have reason to believe that people with a lot of faith have been praying for our family. Something amazing happened last week. I wont mention here beyond it was a miracle and beyond what my own faith could produce. I have a feeling that it was due to the faith and prays of others on our behalf. If it was you, I wanted to let you know that your prayer has been answered in an amazing way. Thank you for your service to our family. My own faith in prayer and the Lord's tender mercies has been strengthened. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

2 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I'm so glad you are doing it. There is something so temporal AND spiritual about growing a garden. The whole act is such a faith process. And it is great for kids. Take pictures and keep us posted on your own little miracle.

Our Wild Clan! said...

Hey!!! I prayed for you and you have to tell me what happened the other day? Did Ty get a call from the recruiter????
Micke