My friends The Sapps made a post recently about odd comments they got as their family grew. I’ve been thinking about it. We recently went to a work picnic where we had the largest family there. We got a few odd comments. Mostly I get really supportive comments when I go out with my children, but some people seem to think I’m crazy.
Who values large families these days? I once heard a nurse say that if they have a large family they are either Mormon or Catholic. Then once a lady at the store was telling me she came from a large family. I think she had 12 brothers and sisters. Without really thinking, I asked her if she was Mormon or Catholic. She was Catholic.
I’ve been thinking about collecting testimonies on the virtues of large families. I thought about e-mailing friends with great attitudes that I admire, but then I came up with a bigger idea. I decided to start a new tag. Did you grow up in a large family? Do you have a large family of your own? What virtues do you most value? This tag could be for anyone, but I really hope it brings out the things people like about their families.
Virtues of a Large Family Tag
- How many brothers and sisters did you grow up with? 5, 1 sister and three brothers
- How many children do you currently have? 4 2/3, two girls, two boys and one girl on the way
- Do you have aspirations for more children? Yes
- Name 5 virtues you see in having a big family.
- There are a lot of laughs.
- You don’t have to go far to find someone who cares.
- You get to use your nurturing skills a lot. So hopefully your kids will learn a thing or two and when your old they will care for you and you won’t have to live in a nursing home.
- You get used to working a lot of different types of personalities. This can be a valuable skill when you get to the work place.
- As a parent, I find it keeps me focused on important parenting issues. It’s a big job, so it demands your attention. Your kids have to learn how to share, help with chores and love each other. Otherwise, life would be unhappy chaos.
To start off I tag you! Leave me a comment if you take my challenge, I'd love to read what you write. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
5 comments:
How many brothers and sisters did you grow up with? 8, 6 brothers, 2 sisters, and technically have two more who have passed on.
How many children do you currently have? 0
Do you have aspirations for more children? Yes! We want to have kids relatively soon too
Name 5 virtues you see in having a big family.
1. I always had someone to play with! My siblings were my best friends and I still enjoy spending time with them. I learned how to be a friend at home.
2. I learned all sorts of do and do not's of life from them. Some of them make the best stories! You learn how to deal with many different problems because each person is unique.
3. I learned how to play all sorts of games and to be adventurous. I've done a lot more than most people I've met even though we didn't have a lot of money.
4. Learned the value of money! It's been a HUGE blessing in my adult life. I also know how to work hard.
5. You learn all sorts of things. Since each person is different they all like different things - music, sports, hobbies, talents, abilities, art, TV shows, movies, etc. I was introduced to many things I wouldn't have been if I didn't have many older siblings.
Family is the one earthly treasure that, if you are faithful, you can take with you through the eternities. It seems to me that anyone who understood this would have a strong desire for children and many would choose a large family.
I have four kids. No matter how many kids I were to have, I'm sure I'd always wish I had one more. On the other hand, my husband would have chosen a few less kids, so I count my blessings!
How many brothers and sisters did you grow up with? 8, 6 brothers, 2 sisters, and technically have two more who have passed on.
How many children do you currently have? 0
Do you have aspirations for more children? Yes hoping to be blessed with one soon!
Name 5 virtues you see in having a big family.
1. My family were more friends than friends that I had from school and that was great.
2. My brothers always had crazy games to teach us younger kids. We had just amazing bonds as we spent time together as kids.
3. I learned about love. Granted in our family we don't say the l word enough but just a simple gesure from one of them just made you feel of their love inside.
4. Getting support from a big family is great. It'slike having your own cheer leaders without the skirts or pam pams, but they are really there to show you that support.
5. You learn how to better relate with people with a bigger family. You know how to keep your feelings under control because when your in a big family you don't want to start a fight and you learn better ways to work things out. I guess what I'm trying to say is that your problem solving skills are really high when your family is that large.
Ten kids in our family (5 girls, 5 boys), and the first five were all 1 year to 18 months apart. My mom says when she would walk down the street with them in Staten Island, NY, the nuns would always see her and bless her, assuming she was a good Catholic wife.
I am the oldest of 9! 8 girls and 1 boy! I have one son, and am praying everyday for more children to join our family. I also think there are far to many virtues I have learned from my large family to name. The one that stands out most is that Heavenly Father has a plan for each of his children. Just because you may be a Grandma, does not mean He does not want you to be a mom anymore. All of my wonderful siblings were sent to my family for one reason or another and I am so thankful for each and everyone!!!
Post a Comment