Next time I decide to take out all the weeds along the backyard fence line I will be sure to check for noxious weeds. But three weeks ago, when I decided after mowing the lawn that it was time to remove all the shrub like weeds that had grown up through the fence, the thought never crossed my mind. I first notice something was odd when I came in and there were brown patches of something on my arm. I thought it was probably sap from one of the shrubs, but it wouldn't wash off. So I figured it might be tar. T had recently done some work on the roof and some of the tools I'd used may have had a bit of residual tar on them. I got out the vasoline, aka all purpose tar remover, but nothing.
I soon realized that it was probably poison ivy. By the weekend the brown patches had bubbled and peeled off taking the skin with them. It was terrible, but I figured I was over the worst of it. WRONG!
9 days after I first cut down the plants I started getting red bumps on my legs and arms. At first I thought they were mosquito bites, but then I notices they were unusually shaped and seemed to be in clumps and streaks. The rash grew and spread rapidly. I'll spare you the details, but byTuesday, day 14 swelling had become so intense on my left arm and feet that I could barely touch my fingers to my thumbs and it was difficult to walk. I went into the ER and they recommended Benadryl. The medication seemed to help control the swelling, but it made me drowsy and I had difficulty focusing. My hand was so swollen still I couldn't change a diaper. I called in the reinforcements. My mom was packed and ready to come within three hours, but then T was able to take a week and a half off work.
The kids favorite game right now is Batman Lego on the Wii. I have issues with the game because it is somewhat violent. The kids really like solving the puzzles and beating the bad guys. Little T plays and everyone else watches, even E. She calls the game "bad guys." One of the super villians is named Poison Ivy. J calls her Toys 'n Ivy. It sounds like the name of a gift store.
Now I'm at 21 days since I cut down the plants. I'm over the worst of it. (I'm pretty sure this time.), but still have a lot of swelling in my feet and of course itching. I am humbled and I have a lot of respect for people who have been through worse or lived before modern medicine.
Two things: 1. I definitely made an impression at the hospital. They will remember me now. In it's own little way that is a blessing. 2. I thought if we were thinking of using family names for the baby we could eliminate Ivy. Though, T thought naming the baby Ivy would be great. I guess it is sort of poetic.
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Jeez Andrea your pulling weeds and on the roof playing with tar? Can't you just take a break for alittle bit? I'm going to be sad if you guys use the name Ivy. I will be honest, because I wanted that name... But I guess you get to choose before I do, because your having a baby now and I'm not.
But I guess great minds think a like. I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes awesome! Keep up the good work.
I think Ivy is a great name with a great story behind it. You should definitely do it.
And you are amazing mowing the lawn and pulling up shrubs and poison ivy. Hope it's better by now.
Andrea reading your blog always inspires me to do better. I am going to learn how to use our lawn mower! I am sorry to hear that you got poison ivy, but I bet your yard looks beautiful. Poor Karalee had poison ivy or poison oak a while ago and she said she was very swollen too. Not fun!
Post a Comment