I was just going to make a quick post. Then I noticed a few new comments. So I thought I'd explain my long absence. We went on vacation for two weeks at the end of August. When we got back our computer was down. It needed a new power supply. We got it back the night before I left to pick up Tyler and then here we are back and with a huge moving "To Do" List.
I finally got the garden picture posted that I took the beginning of August. We stopped by today and got a ton of tomatoes. What was that recipe for tomato soup again? Anyone?
Oh, and I remember I wanted to explain my comment to Arianne about EC (Elimination Communication). I think the cloth diapers is sort of what I was thinking of. I have come to understand that people have different views of what "EC" actually is. I like my sisters mantra of "Don't marinade the baby." I think of EC as a different way to look at diapering.
Where I live they have mandatory recycling and I realized what a huge percentage of my non-recycleable waste was diapers. I was surprised and wanted to reduce it, but I didn't really want it all to end up in the laundry. So what is your other option? Reduce the number of diapers you need. I never even thought to take a baby to the toilet. I'm not 100%, but I like to reduce the number of diapers I use even if it is just a few. I haven't taken the plunge to cloth diapers yet, but I'm starting to get serious about it. I wish cloth diaper companies were more agressive on marketing. It would make it easier to choose a brand. Suggestions?
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
hee hee, I remember thinking the same thing. Have you read the EC books? I loved them. I got too tired this time around...Maybe next time. ;-)
As for diapers, I combed the ads section of mothering magazine and then went with a company that had a "trial pack" of about two different AIO's and some prefolds with a few different covers. It kept my 3month old in diapers for about 3 days. From those I was able to choose something I liked and fit with our budget. I've noticed that all moms like something different and it also depends what your goals are for using cloth.
If you want more specifics, I'd love to chat...:-)I just don't want to bore everyone with diaper talk. ;-)
oohh...and BTW, Good Luck with the packing!
I like my motherease diapers very well, but I especially love the covers. I tried three or four different kinds before loving these.
My problem? With all of our transitions, I put my current baby in disposables and then when I've tried to go back to cloth he just cries and cries. We may just have to be wasteful this time around.
Still, I'm very supportive of cloth diapering and encourage people to do it. We did it almost exclusively on Scallywag and a little bit with Patchy, but this baby . . . well, he is definitely third.
Cloth is also a pain if you have a front loading washing machine. Get some good gloves. :)
My sister-in-law just started using cloth diapers, but she got a pattern and made her own. I've been thinking about trying it...but I'm pretty nervous about it, too! So if you do get any great advice or make any discoveries, I'd appreciate it if you'd pass it on to me =)
Hey thanks Karin! Cloth diapers may be my new years resolution this year.
Andrea:
You are so brave. I am not sure if I could do the cloth diaper thing. I want to resude my waste but I like the ease of the disposable diapers.
So how is the packing up going? I am going to miss you guys. I am so excited that things are going so well for you. Make sure you email me alot. Keep checking our blog.
XOXOXO
Micke
I really do like cloth diapers, but not having a washing machine is a good reason to use disposable :) It feels right to me to not have bags and bags of diapers to throw away. With cloth diapers I have much, much less stinky diaper smell in my home. Also, Alli has such a good sense about wet and dry that the other kids never had until well into potty training.
For a baby in size 3 disposables I suggest
24 infant prefolds
4 medium wraps
snappi/pins (opt. with some wraps)
diaper pail
pair of rubber gloves (optional, I use when rinsing soiled diapers)
There might be a "best" kind of cloth diaper, but it is hard to try them all out. Prefolds are a classic that have worked for ages, so you can invest in them without second guessing too much. For simplicity I have disposable diapers on hand for backup whenever I need them (like two week trips to Dallas). I use gerber with no problem, but everyone else I know warns against them...
My prefolds, wraps, pins, diaper pail, and gloves (20 qt walmart kitchen garbage) cost $63 ($22+$27+$2+$6+$5). I will end up using my stash for a year to eighteen months, so my cloth diapering cost is under $5 a month plus water.
I used cloth diapers for my children. I bought 24 inch diaper flannel (I believe) and hemmed it. You can then folded them the size needed as the child grows. It saved a lot of money especially when hung outside to dry. The sun also kills the bacteria that collect and cause problems (no bleach needed). One set of 36 diapers did a baby. I had great rags after potty training. Good luck. Wisconsin is great! Aunt Luetta
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm defiantly going to take the dive when we move into our house. I find myself cringing every time I have to go buy disposable diapers. Their days are numbered!
Karin I have a copy of Diaper Free Baby my sister recommended. I noticed they had a nice review of cloth diapers. It's still not so clear cut for me. I may just have to experiment and see what works best.
Post a Comment