Little "a" had a frog. It was supposed to be a butterfly made with four heart-shaped cakes. After I baked the cakes I realized that would be *way* to big, so we made one heart into a frog. A frog was sort of the theme of my young adult life. And I had received several frog themed baby gifts. It worked.
(Apparently I have no digital photo of the cake.)
Little "t" had a smiley face. In his first year of life we called him "Mr. Smiles." Besides we had just moved four months earlier. We had all been sick a lot and it was a simple cake.
Little "j" had a "Lightning McQueen" cake. It was really chosen by his siblings. If I had been going by what he liked it would have been an Elmo cake. The race car was really cool though. I designed it myself based on Little t's slippers. Little t still thinks the cake was for him. (Shh, don't tell.)
Little "e" had a Dancing Banana on an I-pod. You know, the one that sings "It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time." Haven't heard of it? I hadn't either. It was one of the funny things "T" brought home from OTS. Apparently it is really popular in some circles (Family Guy). He downloaded an app of the funny banana and e loved it. ( I wish I could link it, but I'm not that talented. You'll just have to google it if you want to see it.) She would dance and be silly every time we played it. Soon we renamed the song after her. It was really no question what her cake would be.
Another tradition is, every birthday the kids get to pick a birthday balloon as one of their presents. That has been fun. She also got a dress up skirt. We started calling her the peanut butter princess.
My last tradition is I've been making a slide show for my blog. I've started it, but it's way to late to finish now. I'm going to put it here. Check back. I'll post a note when it's available.



9 comments:
I'm looking forward to the slide show. What a cute little lady!
That is so funny because Ben was looking at the pictures with me and he knew right away. He said "Hey it's peanut-butter jelly time!" We knew about it because my nephew showed everyone his dance.
Micke
Those cakes are amazing! You are such a good mom! I am so terrible at cakes that I think I'm always going to have to buy them or make icecream pies every birthday. Whenever I try to frost a cake the top layer always peels off while I am frosting. AAAghh!
Happy birthday e! We sure miss you guys.
You always do such fun stuff for your kids. You're my role model.
Andrea
You are so clever. I remember seeing your candy land cake a while back and I loved it to.
Aaaaaw, so cute!!! a year flies by way too quickly! And my goodness, you are AMAZING with making cakes! That dancing banana on an iPod really takes the "cake"..hehehe! But seriously..AMAZING!
Wow 1 already!!! Time does fly. You are so creative to make those cakes. We have that tradition in our house too, but they don't turn out as well as yours.
You guys are all so nice. The candy land cake was a joint effort with my sister. It was a lot of fun. And nice to only gather half the candy and frosting.
I've taken a few pointers from a few really talented cake makers over the years. If you like cool cakes check out this blog.
http://www.camillescakes.blogspot.com/
I finally had a chance to see the slide show. I love all the pictures. T, there's no such thing as too long for a grandma when her grandkids are involved. :)
Post a Comment