Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Twilight

Have you read Twilight yet? My Logan book club in was reading it this month. I probably wouldn't have read it except I happened to receive a copy of it for Christmas. It was really random. My sister sent her husband to the bookstore to get a present for me. He said they had a whole isle devoted to Twilight so he figured it must be good. And there you have it. I was super surprised when I opened it on Christmas.

Anyhow, I thought I’d write a post since I do enjoy discussing and hearing people’s opinions on the books I’ve read. My first impression was that it was a little too sappy for me. By halfway through the book Bella was swooning so much I almost quit reading. I only kept going because my neighbor told me the author wrote the book based on a dream she had about vampires. I figured I wasn’t to the “dream part” so I kept going.

I understand this book is hugely popular with housewives. I wondered why would a teenage romance appeal to middle aged women? I guess it’s not strictly a romance. It does involve vampires which could classify as fantasy or horror. Then there is the idea of a man with complete self control over carnal desire (perhaps also fantasy). My mom said it would be good for young men to read. It doesn’t matter if your made to be a monster, you can be whatever you choose to be.

When I finished the book I couldn’t decide if I wanted to read more or not. There are two more books in the series. I don’t think I could handle it if Bella keeps swooning every other paragraph, but I do like the characters. Reading Twilight was like watching a chick flick, something I rarely do but enjoy. So if you’ve read this book, tell me what you think I’d love to hear it.

7 comments:

kanaboke said...

So the other night, my hubby comes home to tell me that one of his co-workers (a guy) read it because his wife said it was great! At his recounting of the story, Aaron was about to throw up in his mouth...especially the "thunder & lightning" being the vampire version of their baseball games. Anyhoo, I've read all three and just loved the romance of it all, BUT I have to say I can't stand Bella..really can't..by the end of Eclipse (Number Three) I'm to the point where I almost have no desire to read 4...almost...hehehe!

Andrea said...

Oh, I didn't know about a fourth book. How many is she going to do?

Queeey said...

I became addicted to the Twilight series last summer. I am more of a romantic so it sucked me good. I love that it is a vampire book but not your typical vampire book. I love fantasy and this to me
has a similar feel, it definitely is a book to read if you want to escape. I also love the moral lessons you can learn from the books, such as Edward not giving into his natural man instincts, Bella serving her family and others out of love, not convience. (There are more in the other books that I am thinking of but since you haven't read them I won't bring them up right now and this could get long.)
Judging by what you said, you may not like the other books. Bella is a typical, romantic teenager (teenager being a very key word here, which one reason why I think she acts the way she does in the first book, she's a teenager) who is seriously head over heels for Edward. And relationships have their bumps and bumps happen in New Moon and you'd probably be very bothered by Bella's reaction. I was a little frustrated by her reaction more because she really should have realized the truth of the situation that starts New Moon off. I still recommend them to everyone. I was very impatient waiting to get New Moon from the library, I promptly went out and ordered all three books before the third one was released. It was hard to read anything else for a few days the story really lingers and I wanted more so I am looking forward to Aug. 2 when Breaking Dawn comes out. And as far as I've heard the fourth book is the last in the series but they are making a movie of Twilight due out in Dec.! Okay, I think I'm done, my husband is afraid I have reached a limit on the size of comment allowed! He knows not to get me started on Twilight! ;)

Andrea said...

Thanks for the comments. I think I will put the other Twilight books on my "to read" list. It sounds like they will be fun books. I don't watch as many chick-flicks as I'd like, maybe this will be a nice alternative. I guess you're right Q, I should keep in mind that Bella is supposed to be young.

Sarah said...

I read it over Christmas too. I think the author is poor at writing, but has a great story idea. I too hated how Bella is obsessed with Edward. I plan on reading the other books because there are some good lessons in them and it is a very short read!!! Bottom line is that this book will not go down in history as great literature!

Laura said...

I agree with you completely. Bella needs a backbone, Edward needs to stop being so controlling, and Bella should end up with Jacob in my opinion. Twilight is the best out of the series. I read the other two because I wanted to see who Bella ends up with (and you don't find out because the series surprisingly continues), and I found that I was skipping almost half of each book. I also found that despite my skipping I could still follow the story just fine. I don't think that's the hallmark of a great book!

Aimee said...

OK, I am obviously a little late with this comment but I had to post it. I love love love these books. I already have Breaking Dawn on preorder. I love Edward. I am obsessed with Twilight. They are filming the movie now and I can' stand the suspense.