Friday, January 18, 2008

Clothesline

I love this blog. Thanks for all the great comments. It makes me feel like I’m back in the old neighborhood again. So here’s my clothesline story. We moved into our current apartment half way through December. It took us a few days to get our dryer hooked up because the outlet was different and we had to rewire it. Anyhow, we when we went to connect everything we found the vent shaft (connecting our ground floor apartment to the roof) had fallen and crushed the connecting pipe. We called the manager they had someone come look at it, but no repair was attempted. Then everyone went on holiday for a week and a half. Since then, they have made two repair attempts, neither successful.

So what does that mean. I haven’t had a dryer for a month. The nearest laundry mat is 20 minutes drive. It’s 20 F or less outside. I have a newborn that goes through her wardrobe every two or three days. Solution: we put up a clothesline in our apartment.

So here’s a thanks to all my neighbors and friends that convinced me that clotheslines were good. I would never have had clothespins or any idea how to hang clothes or what to expect for drying time. Thanks for the little blessing of good friends. Even the annoyance of not having a dryer in the dead of winter is better because it reminds me of you.

4 comments:

Doreen said...

Yay for clotheslines! Ours here is getting used so much, they're seriously considering putting up a second one in the spring! Who would've thought... As for drying indoors, just make sure you keep the room you dry in very well ventilated (air out daily, even with the cold temps outside), otherwise you're gonna start getting mold. And make sure your clothes don't take more than 24 hours to dry, or they'll start molding, too. Hope they get all the dryer issues fixed soon (I'm sure it'll be just around the time it starts getting warm outside again :p).

chicagosapps said...

I hope the vent gets fixed soon! That's so sad, but you seem to have a good attitude about it. Just gotta do what you gotta do. At least the washer is working, right? Knock on wood. It's even colder up there now, isn't it? It's in the single digits here (for the high) so it must be below zero up there! That's a good excuse to stay home and snuggle with your kids.

Andrea said...

Yes, it is very cold here. It was -11 degrees last night and that doesn't include wind chill. And yes the washer is working. At this point I think we've given up on management fixing the problem. T ordered a water lint trap so we can use the dryer without an outside vent.

Laura said...

Talk to Q about her Russian laundry experiences on her first ILP trip! I remember her telling me she had to try and dry her clothes on the pipes in her apartment. I also think she was washing her clothes in her sink. I could be wrong!